Saturday, February 1, 2014

SHED. BREATHE. FEEL.

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." -John Muir 

SHED. 
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 

 There is something undeniably serene about being by yourself in nature. It's something that I tend to forget as I get wrapped up in my usual routines. Though I frequently crave and long for that feeling, I rarely have the time to actually get myself out in the depth of nature. Living in Los Angeles makes it a bit difficult to feel a sense of solitude, unless I'm in my bedroom; curtains drawn, candles lit. The confines and boundaries of painted walls, a concrete foundation, and the shelter of a roof separate me from the natural world. As a society we are flooded by a constant shower of florescent light while our bodies are forced into cubicles, cars, chairs, and clothing. These modern gifts afford us a comfortable lifestyle that is undeniably wonderful and completely necessary. However, it is so important to remember, as humans, we are innately bound to the Earth. Each time I step into an untouched portion of Earths landscape I have an overwhelming feeling of wonder and amazement. The weight of everyday encumbrances that tether me to the rhythms and schedule of daily life are instantly stripped away. 

SHED.
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 

I was well over due for a date with Mother Earth. The freshness and magic of the forest was beckoning me, I was more than happy to accept the invitation. My wild spirt never turns down an opportunity to roam among the sticks.  Of course, I wanted to take my lady friend along for this magical ride. It doesn't take much to create magic when I'm with my darling yogi goddess. This particular wilderness excursion was of the extra magical sort. The combination of our energies in the Redwood forest gave life to an indescribable feeling that was magically uplifting. It was magical. Did I mention that it was magical? 

SHED. 
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 

To stand as tall and confident as a Redwood among the Redwoods created a feeling John Stinebeck related to so beautifully ~"The Redwoods once seen, leave a mark, or create a vision that stays with you always. No one has ever successfully painted or photographed a redwood tree. The feeling they produce is not transferable. From them comes silence and awe. It is not only their unbelievable stature, nor the color which seems to shift and vary under your eyes, no; they are not like any trees we know. They are ambassadors of another time." 

SHED.
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 

As my palms and body were pressed tightly against the bark of these trees I felt the heart beat of the Earth. An age old tune. The steady earthy pulsation of a distant drum. It connected me to something far greater. These tall, strong, confident ancient ancestors connect me to my more natural state. An unabashed unapologetic fearlessness of nakedness and unconditional self love. Complete liberation. 

SHED. 
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 

For the entire afternoon the forest was transformed into our own private estate, a comforting living space. We sang, sprawled, danced, meditated, whispered, lounged, embraced, reveled, marveled, relaxed, released, emoted, giggled, frolicked, picnicked, and played our way through the day. 

SHED. 
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 

The days last rays of sunshine were filtering through the canopy above, it created such rare sunlight. There was barely a suggestion of blue beyond the soaring treetops. Such a sight can only be compared to a cathedral with walls and ceilings made of stained glass art. I stood in the sun spot soaking in the last moments of sunlight. My bare body, completely cuddled by warmth exuding from the light. Every ounce of negative feelings I have ever had for my body had been released in that moment.  I no longer felt like a compilation of flaws. No one was judging me. The trees weren't judging me, I wasn't judging me. I felt free, beautiful, and an infinite amount of love. A feeling and state I wish to be in at all time; total freedom and uninhibited joy I hope everyone can feel that way. All the time. 

SHED. 
BREATE. 
FEEL. 

We had effortlessly nested into this special and magical nook of the Redwood forest, leaving took far more effort. It was hard to part with those strong and statuesque Redwoods. As we started our process of packing, I gazed around and it looked as if a piñata of brightly colored confetti and clothing had burst open in an explosive celebration. Everything had scattered right on the earths fern covered floor. The time had come to collect and gather our belongings. Reality was sinking in, we had to put our clothes back on, after all we couldn't just come stumbling out of a ticket of Redwoods in our half naked state. I get it, life isn't a nudist colony, clothing is appropriate. But, come on, there is just way too much uptight energy surrounding the human form. Body image issues plague far too many in todays society, mainly due to seriously unrealistic beauty standards. Airbrushed, flawless, slim bodies, which are perpetuated by the media, are continually creating unnecessary negative body-image issues. Beauty doesn't fit a mold!  

SHED. 
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 

As I was picking up the pieces strewn about the mulchy redwood carpet, we had just spent all day rolling around on, I couldn't help but feel sad and slightly conflicted. Humans have been struggling with nakedness on various levels for a long time. As a species we crave intimacy and the freedom of nudity, but yet, reject it at the same time. It is a confusing state of liberation and expression coupled with shame and sheepish uncertainty at the same time. It simply does not make sense.  

SHED. 
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 

The freedom and uninhibited joy I felt that day was so innocent and love driven. I was glowing and floating for days after. I smile just thinking about it. I don't have to stand in a grove of Redwoods to feel that way. If ever my levels of confidence begin to drop from anything less than a goddess state, I simply remember the Redwoods, just as they stand tall, proud, bare, I can as well.  In front of a mirror, truly look at myself, acknowledge myself, and tell myself 'I am beautiful.'

Try it. 

SHED. 
BREATHE. 
FEEL. 
































SHED.
BREATHE.
FEEL. 









No comments:

Post a Comment